Job Description of Welding Engineer
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler is recruiting a Welding Engineer – Onshore to join our growing team in Brunei. The exciting project will run for at least five years, adopting our world class systems and making use of our extensive global expertise.
Successful applicants will be responsible for the leadership, management, supervision and guidance of the day to day activities for delivery of the Quality Management scope. This scope will cover deliverables, planning, option selection and economic reviews. This is an end to end rejuvenation scope and as such will involve interfacing with other disciplines, planning, construction, procurement, and client operations.
Purpose / Role
To support Project Team in development of welding techniques, procedures, and application of welding equipment to problems solving involving fabrication of metals, utilizing knowledge of production specifications, properties and characteristics of metals and metal alloys, and engineering principles.
Prime Responsibilities and Duties
- Conduct research and development investigations to develop and test new fabrication processes and procedures, improve existing or develop new welding equipment, develop new or modify current welding methods, techniques, and procedures, discover new patterns of welding phenomena, or to correlate and substantiate hypotheses
- Prepare technical reports as result of research and development and preventive maintenance investigations
- Establish welding procedures to guide production and welding personnel relating to specification restrictions, material processes, pre- and post-heating requirements which involve use of complex alloys, unusual fabrication methods, welding of critical joints, and complex post heating requirements
- Evaluate new developments in welding field for possible application to current welding problems or production processes
- Direct and coordinate technical personnel in performing inspections to ensure workers’ compliance with established welding procedures, restrictions, and standards; in testing welds for conformance with national code requirements; or testing welding personnel for certification
- Contact personnel of other agencies, engineering personnel, or clients to exchange ideas, information, or offer technical advice concerning welding matters
- May perform experimental welding to evaluate new equipment, techniques, and materials
Skills / Qualifications
- Engineering degree qualified or chartered engineer status preferred
- Familiar with the relevant International standards and Codes of Practice and competent in the design, specification and selection of pipeline systems to meet the requirements therein
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience working in Brunei is an advantage
- Have at least 10 years’ experience as welding engineer in oil and gas industry